About this group
Our group has formed to support our local Brownies, Beavers, Cubs, Guides and Scouts to raise funds, create plans and build a new HQ in Old Basing. The existing building has been condemned and can no longer be used. We are seeking to build the new facility that will:
- provide a more flexible space to support the outdoor adventures of our young people
- be well insulated and thus made to be considerably more energy efficient than an open bonfire!
- be served by a near zero carbon heating solution
- generate sufficient electricity from renewable sources to offset the power required to operate during use
- to be a demonstration site within our community for what steps we can achieve in our journey towards post carbon resilience
Lord Camrose donated the deeds for our site to our local group in about 1950. Since then this wonderful site has been available for exclusive use by the local Scout and Guide associations. The existing building has been on that site for 40 years. Unfortunately, flooding in January 2009 rendered the existing building beyond use and it is now beyond economic repair.
We have already been working hard to raise funds for our new building. Our initial attempts to refurbish the existing building have been overtaken by structural problems. As a consequence we will now build a completely new HQ that will be called the “Baden Powell Centre” for Old Basing Scouts and Guides.
The additional investment required to incorporate our community renewable energy scheme will demonstrate what is possible to all the young people that use the facility. We hope that it will be an inspiration for many years to come and encourage others in the community to invest in renewables. Showing our young people how to take care of the environment by using low carbon energy resources will be a positive step for our community and consistent with the principles of our founder member.